Thursday, April 10, 2008

To the citizens of the US


To the citizens of the United States, what can we do to improve the talk of war in America? Firstly, we all must understand that although war is a negative topic, we might act more positively about the upsides to what we are doing. Even though many people disagree with what is going on, those that do not should keep a positive mind set when writing articles or discussing the problem. We should focus on important things such as when we will be getting our soldiers home safely. In articles we might attempt to leave out or avoid using too many drab and unhappy words. If there is nothing good to say about the war at all, we might try to be more unbiased and simply relay the facts without too much of our own opinion. On a positive note, there are some articles out there that are unbiased. However, the majority of articles use negative words (such as “bleak” or “miserable”) which enhances our negativity of the war. In the movie “Jarhead”, Sgt. Siek states “I could be working with my brother right now. He's got a dry-wall business in Compton. Does the inside of office buildings; you know, the metal studs. I could be his partner, said he'd give me that brand new Dodge Ram Charger. You know, the 318 Magnum? The beast? All indoor work, too, lots of AC. I could sleep with my wife every night, fuck her, maybe; take my kids to school every morning. And I'd run his crews, too, probably increase productivity 40 to 50%. Make $100K a year. Do you know why I don't? Because I love this job. I thank God for every fucking day he gives me in the corps, oorah.” This is an example that can be related to true-life. Some soldiers really do appreciate what they are doing, and the citizens of America should certainly support them by talking more positively. So from here on out, let's make this a bigger priority. The most we can give to a soldier is the support they deserve. So give it, and give it positively.

No comments: