Thursday, April 3, 2008

I remember

I remember sitting with my mother. I remember being 5 years old, eating saltwater taffy. I remember my favorite flavors and eating until I felt sick. I remember the big comfy chairs sitting side by side in our favorite living room. I remember living in California and all the memories that were left there. I remember my birthday that year, and why it will be the most important. I remember the house we lived in, the street we lived on, and the park next door. I remember every room, Lucky, our pet, and the new swimming pool that year. Before we left, I remember planting the apple tree with my dad, but the pictures help me not to forget. I remember leaving that house for a bigger one on a higher hill, to fit in with everyone's standards of Orange County. I remember the new memories that came with the new house. Bigger house, bigger memories. But I also remember the other reason why we left the first house.

I remember finally leaving our second home to leave the place full of too many standards. I remember starting over, hating it... then loving every moment of it. I remember realizing that not everyone acts how they did where we once lived. I remember getting to know people who were more relaxed and wore sweats everyday. But I still remember the first house and the apple tree that has more importance than most understand. I remember one summer of high school leaving with my best friend back to California. Our parents had no idea, but I had a car and a license. I remember going back to see the houses.. and of course the apple tree.

I remember the new friendships and the new stories, and then getting ready to start all over for the second time. Moving to Arizona. I remember hating it as well, then falling in love with it as I had before. But most of all, I still remember where I started and what I started with in the first house.

2 comments:

Joey said...

I wish I remembered apple trees. I can't remember actually seeing one in person. I probably have, but I can't remember. Every time I think of an apple tree, the Wizard of Oz comes to mind. That, I do remember.

Charlie Peck said...

I remember my last day of Middle School and my first day of High School. Both were the worst moments of my life at the time, but two of the best in hindsight. I knew a total of two people at my high school when I arrived- my sister, who is two years older than I, and Bethany, the only other person from my middle school to accompany me for my journey from public to private school. It was a weird transition, again, i hated it at first but now that I look back, going to Salpointe was probably one of the best decisions i've made (even though my parents kind of decided for me).